Make this October the time you finally boost the value of your rental. Autumn 2015 is the perfect season to make your property more attractive to prospective renters and buyers while increasing the home’s value.
- Whip up a dream kitchen
- Lighten up
- Floor them
- Make an easy addition
- Get back to basics
- Add storage space
- Beautify bathrooms
- Make a great first impression
- Amp up your appliances
- Concentrate on curb appeal
1. Even though we have countless forms of convenience foods at our disposal in 2015, the kitchen is still the place where everyone gathers. House hunters want an updated decor, which is easily achieved with a few minor fixes. Change out cabinet doors if you’re the DIY type, or have them refaced by a professional. On a budget? Old cabinets get an instant facelift with a coat of paint and modern door and drawer handles.
2. The kitchen isn’t the only place in need of fresh lighting. Accent lighting or an attractive chandelier can transform a boring space, while replacement blades offer an affordable alternative to ceiling-fan replacement.
3. Dirty or stained carpet is a major turnoff to potential tenants and buyers. If you don’t want to invest in new flooring, have carpets professionally cleaned. Cover any threadbare or otherwise flawed spots with attractive rugs picked up during October sales.
4. If you’re stuck with a two-bedroom home and everyone seems to be looking for three, consider turning a den or other small room into sleeping quarters. The addition of a closet can cost an average of just $1500, but pays big dividends in the form of added sleeping space.
5. Rely on professional relationships or get referrals for qualified but budget-friendly plumbers and electricians. Have them give your property a once-over and repair any leaks, wonky wires or other issues to show renters or buyers you care about the home.
6. Your rental will be much more attractive with additional storage. Pick up a closet system from a home improvement store, or enlist the aid of a pro design team if you have a luxury property that will bring a high return on investment.
7. Prospects will be impressed by a stylish new toilet, sink and fixtures. In 2015, renters and buyers expect you to replace worn flooring as well. Spiff up an old tub by re-grouting and replacing chipped tiles, or go the prefabricated tub surround route.
8. Security is more important than ever in 2015, so put their minds at ease with a heavy-duty lock. Update the look of the front door this October by applying a fresh coat of paint — bonus points for a fall wreath.
9. Have the appliances in your rental seen better days? Replace the fronts of outdated or mismatched appliances with new ones you order from the manufacturer. Check with the customer service department first; your appliance may have a two-tone door that can simply be reversed.
10. Little things really do mean a lot. A freshly mowed lawn and clean porch, driveway and sidewalks are easy fixes but make a great impression. Ring in Fall 2015 by maximizing curb appeal at your rental this October.
Do you want to learn more ways you can increase your home’s value? Visit our website and send us a message. We look forward to hearing from you.